Why does Manufacturing Matter?
Every state, from Maine to Hawaii, relies on manufacturers to fuel our economy and put people to work.
- Manufacturing supports 18.5 million jobs in the United States.
- Manufacturers contribute $2.17 trillion to our economy.
- On its own, manufacturing in the United States would be the 9th largest economy in the world.
- Manufacturers perform more than 75% of all private-sector R&D in the United States.
- The average manufacturing employee earns nearly $80,000 per year, or 24% more than workers in other industries.
- Most manufacturers are small businesses, with deep roots in their communities.
Still not convinced? Check out the following resources from our partner, The National Association of Manufacturers: